According to the International Coach Federation (ICF), coaching is defined as a partnership with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires the individual to maximize their personal and professional potential. Coaching is a client-driven process that is distinct from other service professions, such as counseling, mentoring, consulting, and training.
Coaching allows an individual to unlock the possible from an impossible mindset. The conversation between coach and client focuses on the future, not the past. Goal accountability and support is one of the key activities of a coach.
Goal creation and execution are the common threads woven through all the specialties of a coaching relationship, below is a quick breakdown of the main types of coaching relationships, with a breakdown of the audience and focus1:
- Audience: Entrepreneurs and business owners
- Focus: Business growth and success; Identifying goals for the future while improving current operations.
- Audience: Business executives or senior leaders
- Focus: Improving leadership abilities; Managing organizational change; Finding work/life balance; People and performance management.
- Audience: Individuals of any type who want to improve or gain leadership skills
- Focus: Exploring the definition and nature of leadership; Identifying leadership strengths and areas of improvement; Emotional intelligence or “soft skills”; Defining a future vision for oneself as a leader; Taking action towards leadership goals.
- Audience: Employees who are being coached by someone who works at their organization
- Focus: Improving effectiveness and performance as an employee; Conflict management; Communication; Identifying employee strengths and opportunities for development.
- Audience: Individuals of any type, age, or profession
- Focus: Creating a more fulfilled life; Identifying values, purpose, goals, and dreams; Recognizing barriers; The coach seeks to have the client take action towards goal achievement.
- Audience: Working individuals of any type, or those seeking employment
- Focus: Identifying individual strengths, passions & interests; Career vision and goals; Finding fulfillment and purpose through work; Clarifying the best “fit” between a person and a career or organizational culture; Accelerating one’s career path.
- This method of coaching may involve tactical items like resume review, mock interviews, and assistance with job search.
I once read “a journey only occurs when the desire for distant destinations is stronger than the fear of change”. That idea in essence is Fernweh, and coaching is an important part of what we do. If you have questions about coaching, or would like to experience a session, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1Coaching Specialties adapted from: https://icfhoustoncoaches.org/Types_of_Coaching